Frequently Asked Questions
We strive to ensure you will be delighted with the service. If you are not please let us know. Our fantastic team are always here to help!
Please email us at email@example.com and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
What does the condition of the book mean?
Our item information will include the condition and sometimes additional notes in the description too.
- New: Brand new and unread.
- Used Like New: In near perfect condition. No damage whatsoever. No creases or tears. If the book is expected to have a dust jacket; it is present. This book may include remainder marks.
- Used Very Good: A copy that has been read, but is in excellent condition. The spine is undamaged. If the book is expected to have a dust jacket; it is present. Text pages are clean possibly with a minimal previous owners note or inscription inside the cover.
- Used Good: A previously read copy in clean condition. There may be some creasing or wear to the covers and pages; there are no pages missing. Books in used good condition may contain the following, however we will do our best to ensure this is noted in the description: Highlighting or light annotation, the dust jacket may not be present and it may be ex-library.
- Used Acceptable: This is a readable copy. There may be significant wear and tear and a weak binding. The book may contain highlighting or annotation, the dust jacket may not be present and it may be ex-library. There may also be other damage such as water damage however the text must not be obscured. We will do our best to ensure any defects are noted in the description.
Collectable books can be in any condition: They may be signed, a limited first edition, out of print, or have other special qualities that increase the book's value.
A note about the dust jacket: If there is no mention of the dust jacket and the book is in good condition or higher and it is expected to have one; you can assume it is present. Some academic textbooks are published without dust jackets. Board books, annuals and any book older than 1890 is not expected to have a dust jacket.
If you are unsure or unclear about a book's condition, the description or you just want a bit more information about the book feel free to ask.
Which payment method can I use to place an order?
You can pay with most major credit and debit cards and PayPal. We cannot accept orders paid for by cheque, postal order or pro forma invoices.
Why is the book ex-library?
We work with our library vendors to find a new home for their unwanted stock. Purchasing ex-library books through Bookbarn International will actually help benefit them as they will be paid commission on sales. We sell books on behalf of several libraries and all ex-library books we sell were properly de-accessioned before we list them online. Ex-library books are definitely not stolen!
Why does the book I received not match the book cover image?
The book cover image may not represent the actual copy or condition available. The images on our website are intended as a guide and many of them are stock images, particularly books with an ISBN.
Publishers do also sometimes change the cover design and keep the same ISBN causing cover image discrepancies.
If there is a particular cover you are looking for, please contact us and we can provide an image of the exact copy in stock.
Why has the price changed?
Our prices may change down or up from time to time as we aim to provide the best possible price. We cannot offer refunds on an order once it has been placed if the price of the the book changes. The sale price is agreed upon at the point of sale.
How will my order be taxed?
Used books are not subject to VAT in the UK.
How quickly will my order arrive?
Our aim is to dispatch all orders placed before 12 noon on the same day. Any orders placed after that time will be dispatched on the next available working day.
We will send you a notification email when your order has been dispatched. The time your order takes to arrive will depend on the delivery option you choose.
While we always try our best to dispatch every order following the above guidelines, during extremely busy periods dispatch times may increase by up to one day.
How can I track the status of my order?
You will receive an email to confirm we have received your order and that your payment has been accepted. You will also receive an email when your order has been dispatched.
In your dispatch confirmation email we will include any relevant tracking numbers, allowing you to track your parcel on the relevant website. You will only receive a tracking number if you have chosen a tracked delivery option for your order.
What days will my order be delivered on?
Our couriers deliver between 07.00 and 18.00 Monday to Friday.
Special delivery instructions
If you have any special instructions for delivery, such as leaving your parcel with a neighbour, please include them in the ‘special instructions’ section at the checkout. Please note that our couriers will not respond to notes left on doors for security reasons.
I have a query regarding my delivery?
If you have any queries regarding your delivery please ring us on 01761 451333 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How carefully is my order packaged?
We take great care in packaging your order using the necessary materials according to its weight, size and how fragile it is.
What do I do if my order arrives damaged?
Please see our returns policy.